Top 10 Thursday: Places to Meet Women

Find opportunities at places you go to everyday. Like this guy.

Every Thursday, I will put up a top ten list of awesomeness, with short descriptions and tips. Feel free to laugh, enjoy and pass them around.

Top 10 Places to Meet Women

Guys ask me all the time where they can go to meet women. It used to baffle me that guys couldn't figure it out -- but then it dawned on me. Some guys actually DO know where to go to meet women. However, they're afraid if they DO talk to women, women will out them for only going to those place to meet them.

It makes sense.

Here's a rule of thumb: Only go to these places if it make sense for you to be there. For example, you shouldn't be shopping at an Ann Taylor -- and no, telling her you're shopping for your mother/sister/anyone else isn't going to work.

10. Bar. Duh.

9. Train platform. One of my clients met his recent girlfriend on the platform waiting for his train to work. In this situation, be honest and say that you wanted to come over and introduce yourself. You'll have a stop or two for light, quick conversation to determine if things will continue off the train. If so, there's no harm in asking for her number. If not, you're on your way to your destination.

8. Coffee shop. It's such a casual hangout that it would only make sense that conversation can come up. Keep in mind that some people like to do work and are focuses while they're there. Pay attention to the body langauge to see if she wouldn't mind a guy striking up conversation with her.

7. Bookstore. The same principles apply as the coffee shop. If you enjoy reading books, this is a great place to meet women.

TIP: If there are certain genres you like, go to those aisles and if you see a woman looking at a book, tell her if it's good/bad if you've read it, or ask her if she enjoys reading books from that genre. If she does, you have an instant commonality you can build off of -- before even knowing her name.

6. Sephora. Not many guys know that Sephora carries a good amount of men's skin care and grooming products -- that are also reasonably priced. As a result, 99% of the people in the store are women (the other 1% are boyfriends and husbands who were unfortunately dragged along).

If you're not sure about something, it's so easy to ask a woman standing next to you for her opinion. If there's anything a woman knows, it's what products you should use to look your best. And they will like the fact you take care of yourself and care about how you look.

5. Supermarket. Food will always be something that brings people together. Similar to the bookstore, if there's a certain food you like, are grabbing food in that aisle and see a woman you'd like to talk to, go say hi. Notice something that's in her basket and inquire about what she's making. That her answer be a jumpstart to a great conversation about all things delicious.

4. Gym. The only rule here is simple. Don't talk to a woman while they're working out or on the treadmill. If you want to talk to them, catch them in between sets or workouts and keep the conversation light. With this type of scenario, you don't want to lay it on thick. Get her to be comfortable and let a few encounters pass before you ask her out.

3. Wine Tastings. These events have all that you need. Booze and women. And no, you don't need to talk about the wine. Most people don't know ANYTHING about wine except for whether or not it tastes good. That's all you need to strike up conversation.

The key here is that you say SOMETHING. Don't stand there and wait for the perfect opportunity. The perfect opportunity is the moment you say hi.

2. Adult eduation classes. People always like learning new and interesting things. I've personally taught classes at an adult-ed center and most of my classes were women. In fact, all classes are made up of mostly women (unless the class is geared specifically for men).

Find something you're interested in and attend the class. Sit next to someone and conversation will naturally flow. Believe me. Curiosity breeds questions and if you're not going to ask the teacher, you're going to ask the person next to you. Keep that in mind.

1. Yoga class. You have to be into this type of workout (which it is, whether you'd like to think so or not), but if you are, you are amongst the 5% of men who go to these classes. I went to an event the other day and the women who walked through there were unbelievable. It's seriously a gold mine.

Like the gym, the best times to talk to women would be before and after class. But that's all the time you'll need to make a good impression and see her again -- maybe this time, outside the studio. 

Even though I gave 10 places, there are SO many places including standing line, at the mall, waiting at a crosswalk -- the list can go on. At the end of the day, if you take action, you'll end up meeting more women than you'll know what to do with.