It’s only been a few days in 2009 and already things have changed in my life that I need to be (already) prepared for. I unofficially have time off from the hotel (they say it’s a week-by-week basis so I am going to take that as, “we don’t know when you’ll be back”). This is a blessing for me because I have less hours in my week now (thanks to having one less job), I can focus on Project Infinity, and I can simulate what a work week could be like doing Project Infinity full-time (as this is one of my goals for 2009). I'll have to figure out the money situation as it comes, but that's for another article.
To start the New Year off right, I’d like to give you some really cool goals to accomplish in 2009.
One of the goals for Project Infinity is to be more open to you guys so from now on, I would like to get more contributions to add to my site and my articles. If you have anything you’d like to add to my articles or my site, I would love you guys to email me and I’ll add it and give you link love (of course). It’ll evolve as we go along but it’ll definitely induce more conversation as we all try to achieve a better life for ourselves.
1. New Year, New You. Last night, I was involved in a Podcast with some other “men of style” and we talked about tons of topics about how to improve your style sense. I would certainly give it a listen.
But in general, if there is something you’d like to change about yourself, considering 2009 the year you make an upgrade – a newer version of you. So if you can keep that mentality, the other goals will seem to make sense.
2. Get a New Look. Want to be a stand-out in 2009? Well, you are going to need a new look. Check out my style section for some guidelines on how to look good on the outside. For your hair and face, I write a good article about changing the style of your hair and how to improve your facial features (without the need of plastic surgery, of course).
3. Forget the Past. For some of you, you couldn’t be happier that 2008 is over. Some of you had a terrible year. Forget about it. It’s in the past. Look forward to what’s going on now and will happen in the future. Convince yourself that 2009 will be different and much better than 2008. Whatever issues you have that are lingering from 2008, bring closure to them and move on. This is a new year. Worrying about the past is just an excuse as to why you can’t face the present. Don’t make that excuse.
4. Slow Down. Whatever you do, slow down. Whether it’s your speech, your movements, your life – slow everything down. I always like to compare to those movies or TV shows you would watch and the scenes where everything is in slow motion. Not only does slowing things down keep you in control of what’s going on in your life, it just looks cool. Find someone, whether in your life or on TV that is the epitome of being cool, calm and collected, able to handle any situation presented to him or her in a clear and efficient way. Notice what they do and how they handle different scenarios. Then try to mimic those things in your everyday life. I promise you that you will see the results once you get the hang of it. I can also promise you that when you slow things down, you’ll be able to see things that you wouldn’t normally see.
5. Take the Initiative. This could mean many things. Be a leader. Make the first move. Be the one to take the risk. Those are some of the things that come to mind when I hear “initiative.” This year, start DOING things. Don’t wait on other people to say it’s ok to do something. Just do it. Whatever you want in life, you have to go out and get it. Never be afraid to want something and being vocal about it. Take action. No matter what it is.
Now, you might be thinking to yourself, “wait, Thomas, these goals seems kind of vague. Especially after you ranted about resolutions the other night.” And you have a point. These goals are vague. But you have to understand that I can’t set goals for you. Each and every one of these goals can be applied to any aspect in your life. When it comes to dating, these goals are exceptional. In the professional world, you can definitely make an impact pursuing some of these goals. In your everyday life, these goals are remarkable.
At the end of the day, decide what change you want to make and go for it. Have a plan, stick to it, have someone to hold you accountable, work hard and persevere.
2009 is going to a great year for those who want it. You gotta want it. I know I want it. Do you?
If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed to receive future articles delivered to your feed reader.